The tool for the job

The tool for the job
Buell Ulysses XB12xr In North Eastern Arizona

Monday, October 18, 2010

Time with an old friend....


Time with an old friend....

When I took my 1984 Harley Davidson FLHTC Electra Glide out of its role as my main motorcycle ride, I had promised myself that I would take some time and give my old bike some TLC. And this is the first ride after some TLC was given to the bike .

The biggest issue was in the Primary Chain of the bike, it was worn as was the compensating gear that drives the chain. Plus the clutch was original at 94,000 miles showing on the odometer.

Picture of all the new drive parts


The bike also got some new front wheel Bearings


A new Speedometer cable and turn signal relay


And then .... The road test ... 


Views from Fenner NY USA




Finally crossed another milestone in the 26 years I have owned this bike .




 All good things must come to an end, and as I rolled in to the top of my driveway and stopped.
I had to take one more.


Why so sentimental about this ride ?

26 years ago this week I bought that bike new, My first new Harley Davidson, My first ride was in stunning fall colors and I just was loving life and my new bike on that first ride. 
26 years later, I get the same feeling... Again. 
   







5 comments:

  1. It’s pretty clear that you give your motorcycle some tender lovin’ seeing as how it’s still in excellent condition after so many years. I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy riding your bike for a lot more years in the future. What I do with my 1942 Harley Davidson WLA 750 is I polish it daily and keep it covered when I’m not using it. I also oil it regularly and try to keep it as dry as possible to prevent rust from settling on the chrome. It’s still as beautiful today as it was when it first rolled out the factory!

    Erik Lucien

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erik
    Thank you for your nice comment. If you were to look at the bike in person you would see the wear that comes with use. But it does look good in pictures !

    I guess in this day and age somebody keeping a bike for 28 years is not the norm, but neither am I .

    Carl...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re a pretty good owner to have been able to keep your Harley in such a good condition for almost 26 years! Well, it definitely deserves to be given some TLC because it has been serving you for so many years. I hope it continues to provide you with more amazing rides in the years to come!

    >Hannah Parkin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? Your Harley is already 26 years old? It looks new to me! It doesn’t even look like it has aged a day. I guess that’s what proper maintenance with TLC does! Good job!

    -Claudio Mccarty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudio , Thank you for your kind words, In what will be a short amount of time my Glide will be 30 years old and will have over 100,000 miles on it . Not bad milage for the old girl....

    ReplyDelete